Donate this winter
As winter approaches and we head closer to the festive season, charities begin to launch their Christmas appeals asking for donations for the homeless, underprivileged children and families living in poverty.
2020 has been an unprecedented year and local charities such as Salford Food Bank, The Mustard Tree, Emmaus and Wood Street Mission have seen a huge rise in demand for their services. As lockdown continues, more people are struggling to make ends meet and need help from the community more than ever.
Latest research by The Trussell Trust, which supports the UK network of Foodbanks (ie. Salford Food Bank), shows that they are forecast to give out a staggering six emergency food parcels every minute this winter.
Christmas will undoubtedly be different for us all this year - a much more subdued affair with less festive events to enjoy, restrictions on going out and not being able to see all our family or friends, BUT we can be thankful for what we do have. Others are not as lucky.
What can we do? We can help out in many simple ways:-
• Donate food, clothing, essential items or toys
• Volunteer to help a charity
• Donate money
• Buy a meal for a homeless person
• Look out for our neighbours
A little help from us this winter could make a huge difference to one person or one family in crisis.
In our October-November 2020 issue we feature some of the relevant charities in Salford, but here is a longer list of ones you could support this winter:-
• Salford Food Bank https://salford.foodbank.org.uk
• The Mustard Tree https://mustardtree.org.uk
• Emmaus. https://emmaus.org.uk
• Wood Street Mission https://www.woodstreetmission.org.uk
• Salford Loaves and Fishes http://www.salfordloavesandfishes.org.uk
• A Bed Every Night https://bedeverynight.co.uk
• Cash For Kids https://planetradio.co.uk/hits-radio/cashforkids-manchester/
This year On Our Doorstep are pledging to donate a bag of food, clothes or essential items for every advert that we run in our next issue: December20-January21. We will spread the donations between a few charities. It's a small way in which we can help our community.